Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Scott Brown drives his GMC pickup truck to U.S. Senate victory

Republican Scott Brown made his pickup truck a member of the family -- a symbol of humility, hard work and strong ideals -- as he claimed an upset victory last night to become the new U.S. senator from Massachusetts.




"I'm Scott Brown. I'm from Wrentham. I drive a truck. And I'm nobody's senator but yours," he was quoted by Reuters as telling the crowd at his victory party in Boston. He put back the late Sen. Edward M. Kennedy in a race that many thought would stay with the Democrats.

Brown put his 2005 GMC Canyon pickup truck with 200,000 miles on the odometer front and center in the campaign, showing up at campaign rallies in it and using it in television ads.  He came dressed in jeans and work shirts. President Obama even went after the truck when he campaigned in the Bay State last weekend for Democrat Martha Coakley:

 Obama, in a light-hearted vein, told they should look under the hood and shouldn't get in Brown's truck without knowing where it's going.

Brown later quipped, "When he criticized my truck, that's where I draw the line."

Translation: You can criticize my views, my clothes or my haircut, but don't dare go after my truck. Spoken like a true pickup truck owner.

1 comment:

  1. Another great article. I like that you are very honest and direct to the point.
    Surgical Towel

    ReplyDelete